Looking for an intense, effective workout but don’t have access to any equipment? Not a problem. CrossFit athlete, Matt McLeod shared 5 of his favourite workouts that will get your lungs pumping and your muscles burning, simply using your bodyweight. So, whether you’re at home, on vacation, or on a lunch break—you don’t have to sacrifice a good workout just because you don’t have a gym nearby. Get ready for a great sweat session.
AMRAP 9 minutes – Burpees
Simple and extremely effective – burpees are king for a full-body workout.
- Begin in a standing position.
- Move into a squat position and place your hands on the ground.
- Quickly kick your feet back and place yourself into a hand-plank position, keeping your arms extended.
- Immediately return your feet back into a squat position and stand. Repeat.
Complete as many reps as possible in 9 minutes. For an additional challenge, add a push-up while in your plank position.
AMRAP 12 minutes – 20-Meter Shuttle Run & 3 Burpees
Shuttle runs involve short and powerful bursts of speed, developing acceleration, agility, speed, and anaerobic fitness.
- Create a ‘starting line’ and place a marker 20 meters away.
- Sprint as fast as you can from the starting line to the 20-meter marker and touch the ground.
- Sprint as fast as you can, returning to the starting line.
- Complete 3 burpees before repeating the sequence (see above for burpee instructions).
Complete as many reps as possible in 12 minutes.
10 Rounds – 200-Meter Run, 50 Air Squats, Rest 1 Minute
This practical workout combines both cardio with bodyweight movements, creating a highly effective workout.
- Run at a challenging pace for 200 meters.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Squat down, moving your hips down and back.
- Keeping your lumbar curve maintained, bend down until your hips have descended below your knees.
- Stand and repeat until you’ve reached a count of 50.
- Rest for one minute.
Complete 10 rounds.
6 Rounds - 20-Meter Burpee Broad Jump, 20-Meter Handstand Walk
Burpee broad jumps are a plyometric and total-body exercise that primarily targets the quads. Handstand walks target the core and upper body, making this simple workout very powerful.
- Complete a normal burpee as described above (adding an optional push-up while in plank position).
- Instead of standing and repeating the burpee, jump and propel yourself as far forward as possible.
- Land and repeat until you’ve moved forward 20 meters.
- Then, put yourself into a handstand position and walk forward using your arms for 20 meters.
Complete 6 rounds.
12 Rounds – 12 Push-Ups, 20-Meter Run, 12 Pistols, 20-Meter Run
Pistol squats use only one leg at a time, requiring extreme balance and stability. Once perfected, pistol squats will increase your mobility and range of motion while building intensely strong and resilient legs.
- Perform 12 push-ups.
- Run 20 meters.
- To perform a pistol squat, start by standing on one leg with the elevated leg in front of you.
- Activate your core and slowly perform a bodyweight squat, keeping the elevated leg off the floor.
- Descend until your hips have dipped lower than your knee, with your elevated leg extended directly out in front of you.
Stand and repeat with the other leg for a total of 12 pistol squats.
Run 20 meters.
Complete for a total of 12 rounds.